The transport wheelchairs are an indispensable element for the mobility of many disabled people, elderly people with a lack of mobility in legs, or those who may be recovering from some fracture or major operation. They require a wheelchair with which they can move easily. If you are currently looking for a wheelchair and you are not sure which one to choose, do not worry because we will guide the important factors so that you can buy the one that best suits your needs. Below we have picked the 5 best lightweight transport wheelchair after doing a few tests and study. Let’s dive into the article.
Benefits Of Buying Lightweight Transport Wheelchairs
Lightweight transport wheelchairs can be personalized with a seat and backrest that provides a comfortable and appropriate sitting position. Also, they are lightweight so you can adapt perfectly to any terrain on which they travel. The wheelchairs come with four wheels where rear wheels are large and front wheels are small that provide a smooth riding experience. The wheelchairs have lockable brakes that help to control the wheels and ensure stability so you can use the wheelchairs for household chores without hesitation. In small places, you can easily store the transport wheelchairs that don’t require effort.
Note: Here, you have presented the benefits of buying a lightweight transport wheelchair. If you want to discover more about a wheelchair, you can read types of wheelchairs.
Table of Content:
Here is the table of content for having a quick look:
If you want to know the details of our selected products at a glance, you can go through the comparison chart below:
Hi-Fortune 21 lbs Lightweight Transport Medical Wheelchair
NOVA Lightweight Transport Chair with Locking Hand Brakes
ProBasics Aluminum Transport Wheelchair With 19 Inch Seat
Drive Medical Fly Lite Ultra Lightweight Transport Wheelchair
Medline Lightweight Transport Wheelchair with Handbrakes
- Best Lightweight Transport Wheelchair – Our 5 Picks!
- 1. Hi-Fortune 21 lbs Lightweight Transport Medical Wheelchair
- 2. NOVA Lightweight Transport Chair with Locking Hand Brakes
- 3. ProBasics Aluminum Transport Wheelchair With 19 Inch Seat
- 4. Drive Medical Fly Lite Ultra Lightweight Transport Wheelchair
- 5. Medline Lightweight Transport Wheelchair with Handbrakes
- What To Consider Before Buying A Lightweight Transport Wheelchair?
Best Lightweight Transport Wheelchair – Our 5 Picks!
Finding a transport wheelchair that weighs light is a difficult task. After doing a few tests and research, we have reviewed the 5 best lightweight transport wheelchair that will meet your desires.
1. Hi-Fortune 21 lbs Lightweight Transport Medical Wheelchair
Hi-Fortune 21 lbs Lightweight Transport Medical Wheelchair comes with 18 inches wide red upholstered nylon seat that can hold any weight person and ensure a comfortable seating position. It is made with a magnesium alloy frame, which is water-resistant and provides durable performance. Also, it is lightweight, so you can easily fold it up to carry in the vehicle.
The folding transport wheelchair has a swing and flip-up removable footrest that allows you to put the legs. It has no-slip rear and front hand brakes that help to control the speed and park while moving. Also, its hand strap helps to move the wheelchair and carry in the car trunk or small places you want. You can fold the handlebar that provides easy fitting under the backrest.
It has a hinge designed suspension fork that provides 3 inches of the arch for traveling and prevent obstacles. Its polyurethane cylinder helps to absorb energy by lifting back and up. Anti-tippers allow you to slope 30 degrees, but you should do it carefully. It has two 12 inches rear wheels and 5 inches front wheels that ensure enjoyable and lightweight transport.
Hi-Fortune 21 Features:
- It comes with 18 inches wide seat that is made with red nylon upholstery to ensure a comfortable seating position.
- Weight is only 21 lbs, so you can easily fold it up and carry in the vehicle during traveling.
- The fork is designed with a polyurethane cylinder that provides 3 inches arch to prevent obstacles.
- Four wheels: two 12 inches rear wheels and two 6 inches front wheels provide enjoyable super grip transport.
- The frame is made with a magnesium alloy frame that makes the wheelchair lightweight and lasts longer with stability.
2. NOVA Lightweight Transport Chair with Locking Hand Brakes
NOVA Lightweight Transport Chair has 25 inches wide seat that can hold up to 300 pounds of user weight. It has anti-skid footrests that help to put legs for comfort, and the footrests are removable. Also, it has a comfortable backrest that has an adjustable up to 41 inches seat belt to prevent falling due to obstacles. Its storage pouch allows to keep phones, key, and other small accessories while transporting.
The total weight of the wheelchair is 27 pounds, and the frame is made with aluminum that makes it easy to fold and carry with you. Its quick-release fold features help to get in and out the chair easily that will make your travel more enjoyable. The armrest can be flipped up so you can easily use it as a desk. In sloppy and bumpy terrain, you can use the chair without hesitation.
It has two 12 inches rear wheels with anti-tippers and two 8 inches front wheels that come with solid tires to provide a smooth ride. Its hand brake helps to control the speed of the transport wheelchair and park it by locking the brakes. Also, its secondary anti-tippers wheel lock system provides extra safety.
NOVA Lightweight Transport Features:
- It has 25 inches wide seat that can hold up to 300 pounds weight of a user.
- The backrest is added with an adjustable seat belt that helps to avoid accidents.
- Its weight is 27 pounds, and you can easily fold it up for carrying anywhere.
- The removable footrests provide an anti-skid seating position that has heel loops for better safety.
- With the storage pouch, you can easily put mobiles, keys, power banks, etc.
3. ProBasics Aluminum Transport Wheelchair With 19 Inch Seat
ProBasics Aluminum Transport Wheelchair comes with 19 inches seat that is made with nylon straps, can hold up to 300 pounds of user weight. It has an adjustable seat belt that provides your safety. Also, it has a flared handle that has padding that provides comfort in the hand. Its lockable hand brakes allow you to control the wheels and park it anywhere.
Its total weight is 22 pounds, and foldable, so you can easily carry it with you. It has composite plated footrests that provide an anti-skid sitting position with heel loops. It has push lock brakes that ensure stability and helps to prevent the accident. Also, it has two 12 inches rear wheels that can run on uneven surfaces and terrains.
The transport wheelchair is made with an aluminum frame that ensures durability and longevity. It also includes a locking system to immobilize it and prevent it from moving, either when lifting the person from the chair or on the inclined surface. It is perfect for moving around the house or for short distances. You don’t need any tools to assemble and disassemble.
ProBasics Aluminum Transport Features:
- It has 19 inches wide seat and padded armrest that can weigh up to 300lbs user weight.
- The 12 inches rear wheels provide a smooth riding experience on the inclined surface.
- It is made with a powder-coated aluminum frame that helps to last longer.
- It has lockable braking systems that stop it from moving.
- It is lightweight, about 22 pounds, and foldable so you can take it with you in the vehicle.
4. Drive Medical Fly Lite Ultra Lightweight Transport Wheelchair
Drive Medical Fly Lite Ultra Lightweight Transport Wheelchair incorporated with 19 inches seat that supports 300 pounds of user weight. It comes with a seat belt that provides safety from falling. To keep necessary items, it is equipped with a back pocket. It is made with an aluminum frame that makes it lightweight and weighs 17 pounds that is very easy to handle.
It is made with two 6 inches front wheels and 8 inches rear wheels that will allow us to circulate on all types of pavements and inclined surfaces. Its footrests are both removable and foldable that can be very practical in helping the person to get up or sit down from the chair. The armrests are also padded with nylon upholstery that provides a comfortable sitting position.
The drive medical lightweight transport wheelchair has lockable brakes that help to control it and park it in the terrain and uneven surfaces. It is easy to fold so you can carry in the vehicles during traveling. It will be a perfect decision for you if you are looking for a lightweight transport wheelchair.
Drive Medical Fly Lite Features:
- The wheelchair comes with 19 inches nylon upholstered seat that can hold up to 300 pounds.
- It has a seat belt that ensures safety when you are using it.
- The foldable footrest allows you to put legs with anti-skid protection.
- It has two 6 inches wheels and two 8 inches wheels that provide a smooth ride.
- The lockable brakes provide safety and help to park in uneven surfaces.
5. Medline Lightweight Transport Wheelchair with Handbrakes
Medline lightweight transport wheelchair comes with 19 inches wide and 16 inches depth seat that has 300 pounds weight capacity. The seat, backrest, and armrest are made with breathable and washable nylon fabric. Its armrest is permanent and has a unique design that allows for seating on the dining table. Also, it weighs 23.5 pounds and can be folded so you can store it anywhere you want.
It has 12 inches caster type rear wheels that make it the best lightweight transport wheelchair. Its seat belt ensures safety and prevents falling from the chair. The footrests are foldable and don’t require tools to fix it. With handbrakes, you can control the speed of the chair for safety.
The frame is made with aluminum that helps to prevent rusting and provides durability. It has a medium-sized mesh pocket that allows keeping mobiles, keys, and other necessary items. It can be used on the sidewalk and outdoor trips with steady performance.
Medline Lightweight Transport Features:
- It has a nylon padded seat that can hold up to 300 pounds of user weight.
- For its 23.5 pounds lightweight, you can easily fold it and carry it in the vehicle.
- The seat belt provides safety from falling and unexpected accidents.
- It has a mesh pocket that allows us to keep the necessary items if need.
- It is made with a powder-coated aluminum frame that causes no strain and provides durability.
What To Consider Before Buying A Lightweight Transport Wheelchair?
Deciding on which wheelchair to buy can be a bit complicated at first. So, we are going to detail the most important aspects that we will take into account before choosing a lightweight transport wheelchair.
At present, you can find 2 different types:
Manual wheelchair. They are the ones you have seen previously, which you can find self-propelled and the transfer wheelchairs that require a companion for their mobility.
Electric wheelchair. In this type of wheelchair, the mobility of the chair is carried out by means of an electric motor that incorporates it. Its direction is operated through a joystick that is incorporated in one of the armrests.
As with walkers, wheelchairs can be found made of aluminum or steel. Wheelchair’s steel is more robust and slightly heavier. Its weight tends to be around 20 and 40 pounds. On the other hand, aluminum wheelchairs are lighter, and their weight can be reduced by almost half, around 15 to 30 pounds.
If you want a lightweight transport wheelchair or to move around the house, we advise you to choose a model that is narrow and with small wheels; this will greatly favor mobility within the home. On the other hand, if you want a wheelchair for a walk to be able to go outside with it, it would be convenient for you to choose one that has large wheels to cover greater distances.
It is another of the most important factors. You must make sure of the dimensions before making the purchase. There is currently no standard measure since you can find chairs of different sizes depending on their use.
One of the important points is to know the size of the seat. This must be adequate to be able to sit comfortably. To ensure the correct measurement, you can measure the width of your hips sitting in a chair.
The vast majority of these devices come with the folding option, something that can be very practical if you want to store it. For example, in the trunk of a vehicle or to take it with you on trips.
The wheels must be made with solid and flat tires. There are different models that allow detaching the rear wheels. Something that can be very practical in case you have to put the chair in an elevator or go through a very narrow door that does not fit easily.
The footrests are an element that can be indispensable in a wheelchair since their function allows the person to rest their legs comfortably. Please make sure they are at a suitable height or that the height can be adjusted. Some models also allow the extraction of this element.
A transport wheelchair must have hand brakes that are located with the backrest handlebar. It will be better if your wheelchair has a front brake that ensures greater safety. The brakes allow us to park a wheelchair everywhere and provide stability.
These are the factors that will help you to buy the best lightweight transport wheelchair.
Why Should You Buy A Lightweight Transport Wheelchair?
Lightweight transport wheelchairs allow us to move anywhere easily who have disabilities. So, you should buy a transport wheelchair for several benefits. They are:
- A transport wheelchair helps to maintain a good posture so you will avoid pain and reduce the pressure on the spinal cord. Also, the weight of your body will be distributed evenly in the chair. You can change the situation as much as you want throughout the day.
- The most transport wheelchair usually has 4 wheels: 2 rear and 2 front. The wheels provide extra grip on the surface and help to move anywhere easily.
- Its adjustable seat and backrest help to strengthen muscles and progress your overall health.
- A transport wheelchair helps to Increase flexibility, mobility, anatomical awareness, and muscle strength. The speed or the precision to turn depends on it. Without too much time, perhaps you should consider renting a chair or looking for a used one.
For these reasons, you need a lightweight transport wheelchair. So, you can get the right one from the above reviewed top 5 wheelchairs.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here, we have answered some frequently asked questions about lightweight transport wheelchairs.
Will Medicare pay for a lightweight wheelchair?
Do transport wheelchairs have brakes?
Are transport wheelchairs covered by Medicare?
Are transport wheelchairs safe?
Do you need a prescription to rent a wheelchair?
Transport wheelchairs are specially designed for people with reduced mobility who cannot propel themselves. They have been on the market for many years and have always been considered by their excellence. So, finding the right one is tricky.
In the meantime, we have rounded up the 5 best lightweight transport wheelchair, and I would like to recommend Medline Lightweight Transport Wheelchair that has handbrakes to stay safe and secured from uneven accidents. It weighs 23.5 pounds and easy to fold to carry in the vehicle while traveling. Also, its wide seat can hold up to 300 pounds weight, so it is suitable for everyone.