From the beginning of the century, wheelchairs have helped make life easier for people with reduced mobility. The power wheelchairs are powered by battery-powered motors that move the wheels and are controlled by a joystick controller. For disabled people, they are an essential element in their lives: they give them much more autonomy to walk more independently both at home and outside it. But, finding the right power wheelchair is complicated and confusing. After doing in-depth research, we have covered the 5 best power wheelchair for outdoor use that best suits your pocket. Now, choose the one from here.
Is power wheelchair good for traveling?
Traveling with a power wheelchair is safe because you can easily carry in the plane, train and vehicles by folding. Batteries can be a problem when traveling by vehicles and planes, so we must be prepared and charged fully before the trip. There is no size or weight limitation when traveling, but it will be better to carry the compact one. The mobility chairs have seatbelt and brakes that help to prevent accidents. Also, you can easily drive it indoors and move perfectly in closed spaces by avoiding obstacles.
Note: In this section, we have covered that a power wheelchair is good for traveling. If you want to know more about the wheelchair, you can read the types of wheelchair.
Table of content
Here is the table of content for you for a quick overview:
- 1 5 Best Power Wheelchair For Outdoor Use
- 1.1 1. Sentire Med Forza FCX Deluxe Fold Foldable Power Compact Mobility Aid Wheel Chair
- 1.2 2. Porto Mobility Ranger D09S, No.1 Best Rated Weatherproof Exclusive Lightweight Folding Electric Wheelchair
- 1.3 3. Innuovo Intelligent lightweight foldable Electric Wheelchair
- 1.4 4. Porto Mobility Ranger X6 Portable Lightweight Premium Power Wheelchair
- 1.5 5. ComfyGO Electric Wheelchair Folding Motorized Power Wheelchairs
- 2 What To Consider Before Buying A Power Wheelchair For Outdoor Use?
If you want to see our picked products at a glance, you can go through the comparison chart below:
Sentire Med Forza FCX Deluxe Fold Foldable Power Compact Mobility Aid Wheel Chair
Porto Mobility Ranger D09S, No.1 Best Rated Weatherproof Exclusive Lightweight Folding Electric Wheelchair
Innuovo Intelligent lightweight foldable Electric Wheelchair
Porto Mobility Ranger X6 Portable Lightweight Premium Power Wheelchair
ComfyGO Electric Wheelchair Folding Motorized Power Wheelchairs
5 Best Power Wheelchair For Outdoor Use
We have reviewed the 5 best power wheelchair for outdoor use after doing in-depth research on various models. So, you can choose the one that best suits your needs.
1. Sentire Med Forza FCX Deluxe Fold Foldable Power Compact Mobility Aid Wheel Chair
Sentire Med Forza FCX Deluxe Fold Foldable Power Compact Mobility Aid Wheel Chair comes with 250 watts motor that runs with two 10Ah powerful Li-ion battery. With a full charge with these batteries, you can go up to 20 miles. Its aluminum frame is very strong and durable that ensures long time performance. You can easily fold the wheelchair and place it in the car trunk.
The total weight of the wheelchair 67 pounds with 2 batteries and 2 motors. It comes with a black dustproof travel bag that makes the transport more convenient. Its ground clearance is 5 inches, so that you can use it in the uneven surfaces. It has 24 inches seat that comes with adjustable backrest and seatbelt to ensure extra comfort and safety. Also, it can hold up to 360 pounds weight so anyone can sit in the wheelchair. For these features, it can be considered as the best power wheelchair for outdoor use.
The portable folding electric wheelchair has electromagnetic disc brakes that ensure user safety. You can control the wheelchair with a joystick that is located on the right handed armrest and anyone can operate it without training. It has a battery percentage indicator that allows to know the life of the battery and charges up for the next use.
Main Key Features:
- It comes with 250W dual motors that run with 10Ah lithium batteries that take 2 hours to charge up fully.
- The 24 inches wide seat, adjustable backrest and armrest provide comfortable riding experience.
- On the right armrest, the joystick and 5 speed console help to control the chair easily.
- Its weight is 67 pounds with batteries and can hold up to 360 pounds of user weight.
- It has a storage bag, cup holder and cover bag to make your travel more enjoyable.
2. Porto Mobility Ranger D09S, No.1 Best Rated Weatherproof Exclusive Lightweight Folding Electric Wheelchair
Porto Mobility Ranger D09S comes with two 250 watts motors that work with two 6000 mAh super lithium batteries that provide 5 mph top speed. You can travel up to 16 miles on a full charge of batteries. So, it is perfect for use by the elderly or disabled and can be easily pushed even by children. It is made of aluminum with a double crossing structure and weighs 52 pounds without batteries that last longer with proper care.
The lightweight folding electric wheelchair has 29 inches wide seat with backrest, double-jointed risible armrests that cushioned with breathable fabrics to get more comfortable. Also, it can hold up to 350 pounds of user weight and can be fitted accurately in narrow places like boats, trains, etc. It has a wide footrest that allows to keep the legs and stay stable. You can easily fold it easily and place it in the vehicles.
It has two 8 inches front wheels and 12 inches 12.5 inches rear wheels that made with Polyurethane materials to ensure super grip. The electromagnetic brakes provide greater safety and reduce and the seat belt prevents you from falling. It has 33 inches turning radius so you can easily move the chair. Also, it has a joystick and control panel on the right armrest that helps to control the power wheelchair.
Main Key Features:
- It has two 250 watts motors that run with 6000 mAh battery that goes up to 16 miles on a full charge.
- The 19 inches breathable and adjustable padded seat, backrest and armrests allow to hold up to 350 pounds user weight.
- Its weight is 53 pounds and made with a durable aluminum frame that makes it easy to fold and carry in the vehicle.
- It has 4 wheels and rear wheels equipped with disc brakes to ensure better safety with super grip.
- The joystick panel helps to control the wheelchair movement and speed.
3. Innuovo Intelligent lightweight foldable Electric Wheelchair
Innuovo Intelligent lightweight foldable Electric Wheelchair has two 250 watts brushless electric motors that are powered with two 6.6 ah lithium0ion batteries that go up to 12 miles on a full charge. Its frame is made with aviation aluminum that weighs 50 pounds, so you fold it within 3 seconds and store it on the car trunk or in the vehicle you want.
The lightweight foldable power wheelchair has a joystick that allows to control which is located on the left armrest. It has 17 inches wide and 16 inches depth seat that is cushioned with 7.5 cm thick fabric and has a seat belt to ensure safety. Also, it has an adjustable backrest and armrests that provide comfort and recline sitting position.
It has an updated electromagnetic braking system that can be stopped quickly that provides double safety on the slope. Its 2 sided ant-tipper helps to prevent flipping over the wheelchair. Also, it has 7 inches front wheels and 9 inches rear wheels that incorporated with solid tires that provide a super grip on the plain and inclined surface.
Main Key Features:
- The wheelchair comes with two 250 watts motors that work with 6.6 Ah lithium batteries.
- It has 17 inches wide and 16 inches depth seat that can hold up to 265 pounds weight.
- The electromagnetic brakes and anti-tippers provide double safety.
- It is lightweight about 50 pounds that allow to carry in the vehicle and small places by folding.
- With a full charge, it can go up to 12 miles with 2.7 mph top speed.
4. Porto Mobility Ranger X6 Portable Lightweight Premium Power Wheelchair
Porto Mobility Ranger X6 Portable Lightweight Premium Power Wheelchair is equipped with two 250 watts powerful motor that runs with two 10000 mAh batteries that can go up to 14 miles on a full charge. Its net weight is 59 lbs and constructed with an aircraft aluminum frame that has the folding capability within 2 seconds so you can easily carry the wheelchair in the car trunk and other small places you want.
The portable wheelchair for travel has 19.6 inches wide seat and backrest that can hold up to 265 pounds of user weight. You can easily remove the cushion from the seat and backrest to wash. Its armrests and footrest allow entry and exit in 3 ways by flipping up. Under the seat, it has a USB charging adapter that helps to charge phones. Also, you can carry necessary items in the back travel bag, back and bottom baskets.
It has puncture free two 12 inches rear wheels and 8 inches front wheels that help to ride in the hill and rough places. Its 4 shock absorbers provide a smooth riding experience on all terrain. Also, it has 33 inches turning radius that will move you easily. It has electromagnetic brakes that ensure quick stopping in electric mode. With the 360 joystick controller, you can easily control the power wheelchair.
Main Key Features:
- The wheelchair comes with two 250 watts powerful motors that powered with two 10000 mAh batteries get up to 14 miles on a full charge.
- It weighs 59 pounds and made with aircraft aluminum frame that is easy to fold and carry in the vehicles.
- It has a wide seat, backrest, armrests and footrest that provides smooth riding performance with the capacity of 265 pound user weight.
- It has two baskets, a back travel bag to keep essential items and underneath USB adapter to charge a phone.
- The joystick controller helps to control speed, power on/off, indicator light and more.
5. ComfyGO Electric Wheelchair Folding Motorized Power Wheelchairs
ComfyGo electric wheelchair comes with a noise-free Linix motor that runs with two battery allows to travel up to 4 mph. It weighs 80 pounds and made with a foldable aluminum frame that makes it easy to transport. You can go up to 12 miles on a full charge and the battery takes about 2 hours to charge up fully. The handling of the wheelchair is the best feature that makes it more compact.
The seat provides you with a width of 17 inches that can hold up to 275 pounds of user weight. The padding of the seat and backrest are breathable and allows to clean. It has a Shanghai Maikong controller that has included power indicator light, power on/off, horn, speed indication, speed down, speed up and a 360 degree waterproof joystick. Also, it has 3 pin metal plug that prevents leakage.
The wheelchair has 8 inches front wheels and large rear wheels that made with solid rubber to ensure grip on the all-terrain and surfaces. Its front wheel can rotate 360 degrees and 33 inches radius allows to move easily. For more safety, it has included an electromagnetic brake on the rear wheels. Also, it has a removable footrest that helps to put legs.
- It comes with a noise-free Linix motor that runs with two powerful batteries to runs up to 4mph.
- The seat’s width is 17 inches can hold up to 275 pounds of user weight.
- It has a detachable and waterproof Shanghai Maikong joystick that allows to control easily.
- The 4 rubberized wheels ensure a super grip and smooth riding experience.
- It has electromagnetic brakes on the rear wheels that provide safety.
What To Consider Before Buying A Power Wheelchair For Outdoor Use?
A power wheelchair has features that make them a form of mobility powerful, durable and comfortable. Below we describe all the characteristics that you should look at when buying a power wheelchair for outdoor use.
- Speed and autonomy
Most power chairs have a speed limit. The conventional ones can reach between 8 and 10 km / h, although such a high speed is not necessary if you are only going to use it indoors. However, some of the more expensive models of motorized wheelchairs go as high as 15 km/h. They are perfect for people with reduced mobility who have busy life rhythms and need to travel long distances within a short time.
Generally, most power wheelchairs have two engines. The motor is in charge of propelling the power chairs. The strength of a power wheelchair is measured in KW. The more KW, the more power the motor has, and the higher the percentage of the slope it will be able to climb. The engine is usually located under the seat and is connected to the controller by a controller or joystick. It emits power from the batteries to the engines.
The batteries in a power wheelchair are charged by connecting them to electrical power. The capacity of the batteries used by the motor of a power chair is generally measured in amp-hours (Ah). The bigger and heavier they are, the greater their capacity. A wheelchair motor can use different types of batteries, the most common being wet, gel, AGM and lithium batteries.
The AGM batteries using a saturated absorbent glass acid reduces the possibility of damage that may cause vibrations or sudden movements. The gel batteries are those that tend to last longer compared to other types. Wet batteries are the cheapest type of batteries, running through a chemical reaction that generates energy. The lithium batteries can store up to six times more energy than other types and weigh much less. They do not leak, they do not require maintenance and they allow you to travel using any means of transportation.
- Types of wheels
The wheels come in different materials and sizes, depending on the use for which they are intended. When choosing a power wheelchair, you must choose the size, type of traction and type of wheels according to the terrain in which you will use it and whether it will be mainly used indoors or outdoors.
The smaller wheels make it easier to maneuver the chair in tight spaces, as well as on smooth floors such as at home or in shopping centers.
Larger wheels are better on uneven terrain and offer better grip. They are the best for outdoors. Some chair models have the same size front and rear wheels, while others have larger front wheels and smaller front wheels.
The front-wheel-drive makes it easier to maneuver. The rear-wheel-drive provides better grip and power on uneven or slippery terrain, making it ideal for outdoors.
All power wheelchairs have brakes that are automatically activated when the user releases the joystick or the acceleration controller. Some models come with a parking brake that rests on the tires and provides added safety. The type of brake most commonly used in power seats is the drum or bell brake. It works by pressing a pair of steel pieces against the inside of a rotating drum to stop the wheelchair by friction.
- Driving controls
The power wheelchairs for disabled come equipped with a control console driving generally includes a button for on-off control for the drive and steering, a switch or dial to limit speed, a horn, light switches and a battery level indicator.
If you want to go forward, just push the controller forward and you will immediately start moving in that direction. The same if you want to go to the right, left or back. Pressing the knob a little in one direction will cause you to move at a slow speed. However, the more pressure you exert on the joystick, the greater the speed at which the chair moves.
- Design and construction
Power wheelchairs are made with different components and accessories that distinguish them from each other. They are heavy, and most of them are over 45kg. Many are removed and folded. The most important design elements are seats, backrests, armrests and footrests.
Buying a wheelchair that is capable of supporting your weight is essential. The weight that a motorized wheelchair is capable of supporting depends mainly on the use for which it is intended. Most conventional power chairs support an average weight of about 130 kg. High-performance chairs have reinforced chassis that allows them to support between 200 and 300 kg.
Why Should You Buy A Power Wheelchair For Outdoor Use?
For several benefits and easy to use, you should buy a power wheelchair for outdoor use. The benefits and reasons are:
- A power wheelchair help to have a better quality of life, not only to the people who need them but to their entire environment, people with mobility problems indeed achieve some independence when using a manual wheelchair.
- The use of this chair requires significant upper body strength that not everyone possesses. Buying a motorized wheelchair is much more comfortable and helps many people feel freer.
- Its function is to allow mobility for people with severe difficulties or inability to walk, and who may also have other disabilities that prevent them from manual propulsion of a wheelchair.
- The power chair is light and easy to transport, as its parts can be folded. It makes them ideal for traveling by car, plane or any other means. However, they are less resistant, break faster and bear less weight.
For these benefits, you should buy a power wheelchair for outdoor use. From our reviewed power wheelchairs, you can pick the one that suits your needs.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here is the answer to some frequently asked questions about power wheelchair for outdoor use.
Does Medicare pay for power wheelchairs?
Yes. Medicare pays for qualified users and verified power wheelchairs.
Are electric wheelchairs waterproof?
Electric wheelchairs are not waterproof because it runs with battery.
Can you take a power wheelchair on an airline?
Yes. You can take a power wheelchair on the airline from the plane gate to seat and you should store it cargo compartment of the airline.
Will insurance pay for a power wheelchair?
Only authorized and a prescribed wheelchair can be covered by insurance.
Can you push a power wheelchair?
With freewheel levers, you can easily push a wheelchair.
With a power wheelchair, a disabled person can go outside without the help of others. The power wheelchairs are compact and very manageable chairs with a small turning radius that allows the user to move both indoors and outdoors easily. From the 5 best power wheelchair for outdoor use, I would like to recommend Sentire Med Forza FCX Deluxe Fold Foldable Power Compact Mobility Aid Wheel Chair that has electromagnetic brakes that immediately stop the chair when you release the joystick. It has two 250 watts motors that run with two 10AH li-ion batteries, get up to 20 miles on a single charge.
Also, it has a 24 inches wide seat that allows 260 pounds of user weight. It weighs 67 pounds with batteries and made with a high-grade aluminum frame so you can easily fold it to carry in the vehicle, plane and train.